Sciatica can cause debilitating pain and significantly affect your quality of life. If the condition is left untreated, it can also become chronic and lead to further complications. At Advanced Family Chiropractic & Rehabilitation in Imperial, MO, we offer various treatments to alleviate your discomfort and help you recover. Prior to visiting us, learn how chiropractic care can be helpful for sciatica below:
What Causes Sciatica?
Sciatica occurs when the sciatic nerve becomes irritated or compressed. It is the largest nerve in the body and can be affected by a variety of conditions and diseases. For example, if you have a ruptured disc, it can cause bone spurs and pinch the nerves in your back. Along with that, tumors that form near the lumbar spine can also lead to sciatica. If you suspect that you may have sciatica, it is important to seek treatment as soon as possible since it can result in permanent nerve damage.
Treatment for Sciatica
At our practice, we use various treatments to help relieve pain due to sciatica. After a diagnosis, our chiropractor will create a care plan, which may include multiple treatments, diet, rest, and exercises. Some methods we may utilize include:
- Chiropractic Adjustments — Our chiropractor utilizes adjustments to properly align your back. By moving any herniated discs into their original place, it will take pressure off of the sciatic nerve and provide relief. We may use a quick thrust or gentle pressure to achieve the desired result. This treatment can also be helpful for muscle spasms.
- Massage Therapy — Massage therapy can alleviate muscle tension and reduce any pain you may be experiencing. Not only that, but it also releases endorphins and helps your body relax.
- Spinal Decompression — During this treatment, our chiropractor will gently stretch your spine to take any pressure off of your spine. This technique also improves blood flow and helps your body heal naturally.
- Chiropractic Exercises — We may recommend specific exercise as part of your treatment plan. Our chiropractor will help you learn the techniques, such as yoga poses, that will speed up the recovery process.
- Lifestyle Changes — Our chiropractor can suggest lifestyle changes that can help prevent back pain from occurring in the future. For instance, we can discuss how to improve your sleep habits and ergonomic practices that will help you feel better.
Contact us for an Appointment Today!
If you have pain from sciatica that is affecting your daily activities, our team at Advanced Family Chiropractic & Rehabilitation in Imperial, MO, is happy to help. To learn more about our treatments or to schedule your appointment, call our office at (636) 464-5900 today. When you’re seeking a chiropractor near me, we are ready to assist you!